Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) around the world, you can now avail of the OWWA Scholarships for you or for your dependents.
There are two types of scholarships offered by the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA). First is the Education for Development Scholarship Program or the EDSP and second, the OFW Dependent Scholarship Program or OFWDSP.
Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP)
The Education for Development Scholarship Program is granted to OFW dependents or beneficiaries who wish to enroll or are already enrolled in a 4-5 year course program. These can either be in any state universities and colleges (SUCs) all over the Philippines, or in privately-owned tertiary or vocational institutions or Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA)-accredited learning centers. EDSP scholars can receive a maximum of P60,000 per school year.
OFW Dependent Scholarship Program (OFWDSP)
The OFW Dependent Scholarship Program or OFWDSP is offered to those whose family member working abroad receives a monthly salary not higher than US$400. The OFWDSP covers P20,000 (per school year) of a student’s school expenses, not the tuition fees because of the recent signing of Republic Act 10931 (Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education) into law. State colleges and universities are now tuition free. The money granted to OFWDSP scholars can be used for other school fees, and other academic-related expenses only.
How to qualify for the OWWA Scholarship
- Must be a child of a married OWWA member or brother/sister of an unmarried OWWA member
- Must be 21 years old or below
- Must be a Filipino citizen
- Be in good health and with good moral character
- Must have an average grade of at least 80% and belong to the upper 20% of the graduating class
What Are the Requirements of OWWA Scholarship
To be eligible for the scholarships, one has to make sure that the dependent applicant is not receiving any other scholarship grants, is the only family member (child or sibling) of the OFW receiving the EDSP, and has not previously taken any OWWA scholarship qualifying exam.
The OFW has to be an active member of the OWWA and their dependents must not be over 21 years of age, with a grade not lower than 80% and belong to the upper 20% of the graduating class, must be a Filipino citizen, must have passed the qualifying exam provided by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), and must have passed the college entrance exam which he/ she intends to enroll in.
- Accomplished application forms (2 sets)
- 1″x 1″ ID pictures (2 copies)
- Proof of relationship to Member (copy of Birth Certificate of applicant and of the Member if related as brother or sister duly certified by the Local Civil Registrar or NSO)
- Form 137 or Transcript of Records with Principal’s Certification on Scholastic Standing
- Proof of OWWA membership (i.e. Official Receipt of OWWA Contribution/Certification from OWWA Membership Processing Center)
- Health Certificate attesting to physical fitness of an applicant (Form B)
- Certificate of Good Moral Character issued by the School Principal/Guidance Counselor (Form C)
- Certification that applicant belongs to upper 20% of graduating class issued by school principal (2 sets)
- Statement of applicant that he/she has not earned units in any post-secondary/undergraduate course (Form E)
- Sworn Statement that he/she has no pending application for resident immigrant status in any country and does not have dual citizenship signed by parent or legal guardians (Form F)
To avail of the OWWA scholarship, please bring the requirements mentioned above at the nearest OWWA office. For more information visit the OWWA website at http://www.owwa.gov.ph/